The Lakeside Life Blog
Lewis Smith Lake Alabama | Smith Lake Alabama
Get your boat ready – it’s almost spring!
Groundhog Day 2023 brought news we lake lovers did not want to hear for the upcoming boating season… 6 more weeks of winter?! BUT… that also means it allows 6 more weeks to prepare boats/marine vessels for spring break and beyond!
Now is the time, before spring, to put boats in the shop for servicing, maintenance and upgrades before local shops are overloaded, resulting in sometimes serious delays to your boating season. Also, maintaining and servicing a boat annually protects your investment, and upgrades can substantially help resale value.
See a list of suggestions below (in alphabetical order):
1. AFTERMARKET BOAT & TOWER ACCESSORIES - This can be anything from a depth finder to a trailer tail light to board racks for the boat's tower, or even a new tower and so much more. Try these local companies: Duskin Point Marina, MasterPro Audio, and Russell Marine - Smith Lake
2. BOAT DETAILING - unlike basic auto detailing, boats have a gel coat surface over thick heavy fiberglass which is different from metal and plastics used on cars, so different methods, products and materials are needed for repairs, cleaning and refurbishing the finish. Make sure you use a company that is experienced with delicate boat detailing needs. We recommend local companies like Bama Detailing, Duncan Bridge Marina, MasterPro Audio, Nelson Marine & Cycle Services, and Russell Marine - Smith Lake.
3. BOAT LIFTS - for a new lift, installation, and good annual servicing to keep your investment safe and sound, get quotes from HydroHoist of Alabama, Free State Boat Docks, MasterPro Audio and Smith Lake Republic.
4. DOCK SERVICE & CONCIERGE - this can be anything from dock servicing, repairs, cleaning, solar installation, dock accessories, marine grade audio/video for outdoor entertaining, etc. Try getting an estimate from local companies who can help like Free State Boat Docks, MasterPro Audio, Nelson Marine and Cycle Services, Smith Lake Republic and Wetsteps of Alabama.
5. FINANCING - looking to buy a NEW BOAT - visit Duskin Point Marina and Russell Marine - Smith Lake and finance locally with banks like Bank of Walker County, Citizens Bank and Trust, Cullman Savings Bank, First National Bank and Listerhill Credit Union. Did you know that you can obtain financing for a NEW DOCK? Contacting Listerhill Credit Union to get your application underway.
6. INSURANCE - make sure you’re properly covered for the year or re-evaluate your coverage if you've made any changes recently regarding your boat, home or dock. Grant Thomas of Alfa Insurance can help you. (Note - Grant's family are long time residents of Smith Lake - check out their company Smith Lake Rentals and Sales for local rental homes and sign up early for rentals as they get booked super fast early each year.
7. MARINE AUDIO/VIDEO - Upgrade the entire boat's A/V system if it is not performing on its limited stock system, or if the system is older and needing a few upgrades or component additions. Perhaps everything is functioning fine, and the system just needs some tuning, repairs or refurb. Be sure to use professionals who understand the nuances between name brands of equipment and how to get the most sound bang for your buck. A company we recommend who has over 35 years experience in high end professional audio is MasterPro Audio with experience not just in marine audio and basic 12V, but also for commercial/home/worship/sports venues, entertainment venues, etc. Ask to hear their demo boat system, on the water from a very far distance - you'll be shocked at what their patented tower speakers and component system are capable of - clean, clear high performance sound ready to energize your day on the lake.
8. MARINE FLOORING - whether it's carpet, engineered marine flooring for an entire boat, or just pieces for a back platform, gunwales, or just to artfully replace a torn or damaged section, the following local companies can help get your boat looking the best - Duskin Point Marina, MasterPro Audio, and Russell Marine - Smith Lake.
9. MECHANICAL SERVICE for BOATS & TRAILERS - schedule to get your boat serviced, tuned up, de-winterized and ready to take on the season. Local companies we suggest: Duskin Point Marina, Nelson Marine & Cycle Services, Russell Marine - Smith Lake.
10. TOWING SERVICE - get your annual membership NOW and boat worry free all year. Contact Captain Terry Russeau of TowBoatUS Smith Lake.
11. UPHOLSTERY - repairs or new - contact Bama Detailing or MasterPro Audio.
12. WATERSPORTS EQUIPMENT - new equipment or rentals - try local shops like Lakeside Gear, Pine Valley Outdoor Living, Russell Marine - Smith Lake and Triple Creek Marina.
Once you've got the boat tuned up, spruced up, fully loaded and ready to go, check out our other informational blogs to make sure you are fully prepared for the best boating season every year. Check back on our blog often!
For more businesses in categories you are looking for, try our Business Listing - Alphabetical, and our Business Listing by Category, and check out more information in our LOCAL INFO tab.
Latest update to this blog: 2/2/23.
12/1/2022 0 Comments
Things to Do at Smith Lake
Access: First of all you have to get here. Traveling to the lake is quick and easy:
Cullman - access the Cullman County side of the lake primarily off I-65 from Exits 299 (to Hwy 69), 304 (to Hwy 437, Hwy 438 & Hwy 222) & 309 (to Hwy 278)
Walker - enter the Walker side from I-22 into Jasper and through Curry AL
Winston - the Winston side can be accessed through Cullman and Walker, both head into Arley, AL (The Heart of Smith Lake), or through Hwy 278 on the far northwest side from the Double Springs, AL area.
For reference, distances are:
from the popular 299 Exit from I65 are: about 40 minutes to Birmingham AL (40 miles), about 1 hour to Huntsville AL (60 miles), and about 2 hours & 20 mins to Nashville, TN (150 miles).
Once you have an address of where you want to go, everything is accessible via GPS, but keep in mind that most of the lake is still very rural, so traveling around can be tricky. There are still some dirt/gravel roads in the area, as well as some hard pack roads. If you're veering off main highways and don't have a 4-wheel-drive, just be mindful of road conditions in inclement weather.
Activities: there are so many activities to enjoy on Smith Lake. We'll list a few of our favorites below.
Also, check out the bottom of our blog on Lewis Smith Dam and Powerhouse for information about visiting the Alabama Power Company Lewis Smith Dam and Powerhouse.
If you would like more information about our area, we encourage you to check with the local Chamber of Commerce for each city/county and/or the tourism boards in those areas. In true southern style and hospitality, they will all graciously provide even more detailed and factual information about their specific areas.
We have gathered these facts from numerous sources for the benefit of our community, so please feel free to offer any edits. Call/text us at 256-708-7679 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lake Living at it's best!
All 4th Of July About Us Advice Alabama Power Company Boating Boating Safety Cocktail Cookbook Digital-edition Digital-edition Docktail Fall On Smith Fishing Food & Drink Giveaway Homes On Smith #HowILake Lake Advice Lake Decor Lewis Smith Dam Lewis Smith Lake Life On Smith Logo Magazine Info Modern Living Recipe Recipes Recreation Safety Sides Smith Lake Smith Lake Alabama Smith Lake Business Smith Lake Businesses Smith Lake Events Smith Lake History Smith Lake Holidays Smith Lake Homes Smith Lake Life Smith Lake People Smith Lake Sports Smith Lake Things To Do Sports And Recreation Spring Subscribe Subscriptions Summer The-lakeside-life The-lakeside-life The Lakeside Life Brand The-lakeside-life-team The-lakeside-life-team Things To Do
The Lakeside Life
767 County Road 437
Cullman, AL 35055
(256) 708-7679 Main
(205) 470-8250 Marketing
Facebook Group: Smith Lake Community
Also check out our stores:
The Lakeside Life Store
FOLLOW & use some of our favorite hashtags - we look forward to "socializing" with you and learning all about how you celebrate your lake life! Contact us if you'd like to share content with us to publish - stories, photographs, or basic information.