The Lakeside Life Blog
Lewis Smith Lake Alabama | Smith Lake Alabama
Get your boat ready – it’s almost spring!
Groundhog Day 2023 brought news we lake lovers did not want to hear for the upcoming boating season… 6 more weeks of winter?! BUT… that also means it allows 6 more weeks to prepare boats/marine vessels for spring break and beyond!
Now is the time, before spring, to put boats in the shop for servicing and upgrades before shops are overloaded, resulting in sometimes serious delays to boating season. Also, maintaining your boat annually protects your investment, and upgrades can substantially help resale value.
See our list of suggestions below (in alphabetical order):
1. AFTERMARKET BOAT & TOWER ACCESSORIES - This can be anything from a depth finder to a trailer tail light to board racks for the boat's tower, or even a new tower and so much more. Try these local companies: Duskin Point Marina, MasterPro Audio, and Russell Marine - Smith Lake
2. BOAT DETAILING - unlike basic auto detailing, boats have a gel coat surface over thick heavy fiberglass which is different from metal and plastics used on cars, so different methods, products and materials are needed for repairs, cleaning and refurbishing finishes. Make sure you use a company that is experienced with delicate boat finishes. We recommend local companies like Sharkys Mobile Detailing, Bama Detailing, Duncan Bridge Marina, Duskin Point Marina, MasterPro Audio, Nelson Marine & Cycle Services, and Russell Marine - Smith Lake.
3. BOAT LIFTS - for a new lift, installation, and good annual servicing to keep your investment safe and sound, get quotes from HydroHoist of Alabama, Free State Boat Docks, MasterPro Audio and Smith Lake Republic.
4. DOCK SERVICE & CONCIERGE - this can be anything from dock servicing, repairs, cleaning, solar installation, accessories, marine grade audio/video for outdoor entertaining, etc. Try getting an estimate from local companies who can help like Free State Boat Docks, MasterPro Audio, Nelson Marine and Cycle Services, Smith Lake Republic and Wetsteps of Alabama.
5. FINANCING - looking to buy a NEW BOAT - visit Duskin Point Marina and Russell Marine - Smith Lake and banks like Bank of Walker County, Citizens Bank and Trust, Cullman Savings Bank, First National Bank and Listerhill Credit Union. Also, you can discuss financing for a NEW DOCK as well by contacting Listerhill Credit Union to begin your application.
6. INSURANCE - make sure you’re properly covered for the year or that you've re-evaluated your coverage if you've made any changes recently in your boat status or dock. Grant Thomas of Alfa Insurance can help you. His parents are long time residents of Smith Lake (Check out their company Smith Lake Rentals and Sales for local rental homes)!
7. MARINE AUDIO/VIDEO - Upgrade the entire boat's A/V system if it is not performing on its limited stock system, or if the system is older and needing a few upgrades or component additions. Perhaps everything is functioning fine, and the system just needs some tuning, repairs or refurb. Be sure to use professionals who understand the nuances between name brands of equipment and how to get the most sound bang for your buck. A company we recommend who has over 35 years experience in high end professional audio is MasterPro Audio with experience not just in marine audio and basic 12V, but also for commercial/home/worship/sports venues, entertainment venues, etc. Ask to hear their demo boat system too, on the water from a very far distance. You'll be shocked at what their patented tower speakers are capable of.
8. MARINE FLOORING - whether it's carpet, engineered marine flooring for an entire boat, or just pieces for a back platform, gunwales, or just to artfully replace a torn or damaged section, the following local companies can help get your boat looking the best - Duskin Point Marina, MasterPro Audio, and Russell Marine - Smith Lake.
9. MECHANICAL SERVICE for BOATS & TRAILERS - schedule to get your boat serviced, tuned up, de-winterized and ready to take on the season. Local companies we recommend: Duskin Point Marina, Nelson Marine & Cycle Services, Russell Marine - Smith Lake.
10. TOWING SERVICE - get your annual membership NOW and boat worry free all year. Contact Captain Terry Russeau of TowBoatUS Smith Lake.
11. UPHOLSTERY - repairs or new - contact Bama Detailing or MasterPro Audio.
12. WATERSPORTS EQUIPMENT - new equipment or rentals - try local shops like Lakeside Gear, Pine Valley Outdoor Living, Russell Marine - Smith Lake and Triple Creek Marina.
Once you've got the boat tuned up and ready to go, check out our other informational blogs to make sure you are fully prepared for the best boating season every year! Check back on our blog soon!
For more businesses in the categories you need, try our Business Listing - Alphabetical, and our Business Listing by Category, and check out all the information in our LOCAL INFO tab.
Latest update to this blog: 2/2/23.
We hope the checklist above helps you get ahead and geared up for a great boating season. A little work on the frontend of the season saves endless needless headaches, stress or worst yet, unnecessary and unwanted citations. Again, be sure to follow the instructions from the ALEA website first and foremost, and use our suggestions only as additional advice. Here’s the link again: Alabama Law Enforcement Agency – Alabama Marine Patrol Division: https://www.alea.gov/dps/marine-patrol
P.S. Did you know that …”the U. S. Coast Guard Auxiliary will perform a Courtesy Marine Examination (CME) of your boat and equipment free of charge. This inspection covers federal and state requirements. If your boat meets all CME requirements, you will receive a CME decal. If your boat fails to meet all requirements, no report is made to any law enforcement agency.” - ALEA. It’s worth a call to ALEA to see if an inspection can be done in your area.
Other Links that you should check:
Be sure to check our other lists on our blog and through our magazine - samples below. (these will soon be linked for ease of navigation...)
Contact, message, or comment if you'd like us to add anything specific to the list or if we need to revise or repair a broken link. We'll be updating the list annually (last update: 4/15/21). Thank you!
Lake Living at it's best!
All 4th Of July About Us Advice Alabama Power Company Boating Boating Safety Cocktail Cookbook Digital-edition Digital-edition Docktail Fall On Smith Fishing Food & Drink Giveaway Homes On Smith #HowILake Lake Advice Lake Decor Lewis Smith Dam Lewis Smith Lake Life On Smith Logo Magazine Info Modern Living Recipe Recipes Recreation Safety Sides Smith Lake Smith Lake Alabama Smith Lake Business Smith Lake Businesses Smith Lake Events Smith Lake History Smith Lake Holidays Smith Lake Homes Smith Lake Life Smith Lake People Smith Lake Sports Smith Lake Things To Do Sports And Recreation Spring Subscribe Subscriptions Summer The-lakeside-life The-lakeside-life The Lakeside Life Brand The-lakeside-life-team The-lakeside-life-team Things To Do
The Lakeside Life
767 County Road 437
Cullman, AL 35055
(256) 708-7679 Main
(205) 470-8250 Marketing
Facebook Group: Smith Lake Community
Also check out our stores:
The Lakeside Life Store
Amazon Lake Life
FOLLOW & use some of our favorite hashtags - we look forward to "socializing" with you and learning all about how you celebrate your lake life! Contact us if you'd like to share content with us to publish - stories, photographs, or basic information.