The Lakeside Life Blog
Lewis Smith Lake Alabama | Smith Lake Alabama
Mai Tai recipe submitted by readers Tamara & Michael Sansbury
Today was an off and on rainy day on the lake, so a perfect one to kick back on the covered deck with a cocktail and relax with a good book or just enjoy the scenery and the sounds of the refreshing summer rain! We were so glad to see this fun photo pop up in our Instagram DMs at just the right time, so we requested the recipe. It just so happens we borrowed 2 ingredients from a neighbor with a well-stocked bar, and now it’s evening and here we are making our own, thanks to readers Tamara & Michael Sansbury.
1 oz Jamaican rum
1 oz rhum Agricole
1/2 oz dry curaçao
1/2 oz orgeat syrup (an almond cocktail syrup that you can buy at most fine liquor stores or if you are super fancy, make your own at home - see recipe below)
1 oz fresh lime
fresh mint sprigs to garnish
Shake, strain, drink, repeat! 🍹🍹
Drink responsibly and enjoy! CHEERS!
2 cups blanched almonds
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups water
1 oz brandy
1/2 t orange flower water (or rose water)
• Pulse almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Set aside.
• Combine the sugar and water in a pot over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Boil the syrup for 3 minutes, then add the ground almonds.
• Turn the heat to low and simmer for another 3 minutes, then slowly increase the temp to medium-high. Just before it starts to boil, remove it from
the heat and cover.
• Let covered nut mixture infuse for 3-8 hours. Strain it through about 2 layers of cheesecloth, discarding the ground almonds for another use.
• Stir brandy & orange flower water into syrup
• Use a cocktail funnel to pour orgeat into a jar. Seal and store in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
Lake Living at it's best!
All Digital-edition Fall On Smith Fishing Giveaway Homes On Smith #HowILake Lake Decor Life On Smith Modern Living Recipes Smith Lake Smith Lake Business Smith Lake Events Smith Lake People Smith Lake Sports Smith Lake Things To Do Subscribe Subscriptions The-lakeside-life The-lakeside-life-team
The Lakeside Life
767 County Road 437
Cullman, AL 35055
(256) 708-7679 Main
(205) 470-8250 Marketing
Facebook Group: Smith Lake Community
Also check out our stores:
The Lakeside Life Store
Amazon Lake Life
FOLLOW & use some of our favorite hashtags - we look forward to "socializing" with you and learning all about how you celebrate your lake life! Contact us if you'd like to share content with us to publish - stories, photographs, or basic information.