The Lakeside Life Blog
Lewis Smith Lake Alabama | Smith Lake Alabama
Wayne's Package Store had long been known as the last stop heading to Smith Lake from Birmingham, until laws changed for Cullman, making it legal for Cullman County to sell alcohol. As a result the area boomed with package stores and breweries.
With New Year's Eve falling on a Sunday this year - one problem - for most Smith Lake area shops - Blue Law. They have to continue to follow that law which prohibits the sales of alcoholic beverages on Sundays, despite the holiday. So if you find yourself in a bind on New Years Eve, and need some refreshments for your gathering, just take a short trip to Wayne's Package Store. You will find a nice assortment of beer, wine and liquor not to mention a few RARE finds sure to please any guest at your party. Wayne’s will be open until 12 am New Years Eve. Grab one of these select favorites - a short trip from near the lake. You are in for a treat!
First on the list can only be found in the State of Alabama at the Last Stop… Salted Caramel Crown Royal. “Crown Royal Salted Caramel Flavored Whisky is a blend of the finest Canadian whiskies, carefully selected by Master Blenders and infused with the subtly salty-sweet taste of indulgent salted caramels – imparting lush, creamy notes that perfectly compliment the richness of Crown Royal Whisky.” This whiskey has a rich vanilla, oak smell with a smooth caramel taste topped with a salty finish. It's perfect by itself or in a mixer. We recommend mixing with some ginger ale for a simple mixer or you can add 1.5 ounce of apple flavored crown royal, a splash of lemon juice and an apple slice for a delicious caramel apple drink.
Next, Jim Beam's newest creation, Little Book. "This whiskey was created by the eighth generation Kentucky distiller, Freddie Noe. Freddie was given the nickname ‘Little Book’ as a child because he was just like his grandfather whose name was Booker Noe. Each generation of distillers come up with a new recipe in hopes of one-upping the previous generation and Little Book has done just that. This is the first Single Barrel whiskey the company has created, previous generations turned their nose up to single barrels but after many requests, Freddie decided to go for it." We are sure glad he did. Little Book is unique to what Beam has been producing for the past 8 generations. A combination of 4-year-old bourbon, 6-year-old malt and rye whiskey, and a 13-year-old corn whiskey making is burst with sweet vanilla and caramel flavor yet it obtains a healthy spice topped of with a toasted cereal finish. Liquid Gold if you are a Bourbon Connoisseur. It's slightly over 128 proof making it a sipper! Drink it clean or you can add a couple cubes of ice to it. As they melt it will create a different taste to enjoy!
Specific to Alabama, where it is made and will soon have its own Distillery in Troy, Alabama, is Clyde May’s. This Whiskey is sure to be a New Year’s Eve Party favorite after you have one sip and reveal it has Sweet Home Alabama roots. "Clyde was an Alabama original moonshiner who did 8 months of federal penitentiary time for his efforts. He might not have been successful at avoiding the law but his recipe sure is a success. His recipe, which consists of oven dried apples dropped into the barrel of whiskey to age, and whala, good ole’ Alabama Whiskey! As the aging process takes place it produces a sweet bourbon with a hint of rye and a subtle hint of apple to finish without the burn." This 85 proof bottle of pure Alabama delight is one you do not want to miss out on! And who knows, HAHA - Clyde May might have been a VERY distant relative to our very own Haley May's husband's family!
You cannot forget to add a little Smith Lake flare to your bottle of cheer this New Years! Ask The Lakeside Life about their bottle décor, $15 each, red, blue or green -- and we can deliver these your door if given enough notice! Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!!!
As always, enjoy and drink responsibly! Cheers my dears!
With just 3 shopping days left until Christmas, you may find yourself stumped for the perfect gift for the lake lover in your life. This holiday season, our team has enjoyed supporting our local small businesses and hope you will do the same, after all, every time you make a purchase from a small business, someone actually does a little happy dance!
The Lakeside Life has compiled a list of great ideas for those last minute grabs:
1. A subscription to The Lakeside Life! The Lakeside Life offers coffee- table-worthy photography and content sure to inspire the lake lover in your life. Get your subscription here.
IDEA: wrap up the actual magazine and have it under the tree! If you don't have a magazine, come by our local shop and grab one, or call/text/e-mail and we'll get one to you.
2. A gift certificate to Brickyard Meats in Cullman. Any lake lover is sure to enjoy selecting the perfect piece of meat to throw on the grill lakeside! AND, they have prepared gift baskets as well!
HINT: perfect stocking stuffer!
3. A basket of beverages from Wayne's Package Store or Cornerstone Beverage depending on your location! One of the most popular Dirty Santa gifts seen in recent times was a Bloody Mary Basket complete with all the fixings!
4. A pillow with our favorite lake's name on it from White Willow in Cullman! White Willow offers a gorgeous assortment of home decor items sure to spruce up any space AND they will wrap it for you!
HINT: home decor items are good for everyone on your list - especially those hardest to shop for.
5. A gift certificate to Russell Marine-Smith Lake. The folks at Russell not only have boats, but they also have a selection of gear to equip your boat for the upcoming spring season! Check'em out on Highway 69 in Hanceville.
6. Give the gift of humor from Dixie Duds in Cullman! They have a wide variety of unique items, and one of our favorites is their sign collection. They also sell many of the fixtures displaying the vast selection of products all over the store.
AND...pssst...they also have some of our cuddly "Smith Lake" woollys too!
7. Stop in the Lakeside Pharmacy in Dodge City for the perfect stocking stuffers and gift selection! The Lakeside Pharmacy has everything from Smith Lake t-shirts, to earrings, to Christmas candy (and they can fill your prescriptions too)!
8. Seibel's Cottage located in Birmingham's downtown Homewood is a popular destination for lake lovers, complete with decorating services, home goods and furniture! Their rustic-contemporary focus is apparent throughout the store with many lake-themed items, some customized for Smith Lake - all kinds of home decor and the ever-popular lake wall maps!
9. Give the gift of watersports to the enthusiast in your world with a new board, or Smith Lake Woolly, from Lakeside Sports & Recreation in Cullman. Their shop currently carries the following lines: Ronix, Radar, Slingshot, Phase 5, The Walker Project, Sky Ski + adding more very soon..., Wakesurfers, Wakeboards, Wakeskates, Wakeboard Bindings, Sit-down Hydrofoils, Stand-up Hydrofoils, Towables, Tubes, Kites, Kiteboards, Kiteboard gear, SUPs, and other wake gear & accessories. Stop by or call 205-470-8250 and someone will meet you there quick, even off hours!
10. Pat's Archery & Outdoors in Jasper is your one-stop shop for the hunter, fisherman or outdoorsmen in your life! They carry everything from firearms, ammunition and optics to hunting calls, cameras, tree-stands, and fishing tackles - which would fit perfectly in a stocking! A classic this holiday season is the Red Ryder, just remember - "Don't shoot your eye out kid".
Lake Living at it's best!
All Digital-edition Fall On Smith Fishing Giveaway Homes On Smith #HowILake Lake Decor Life On Smith Modern Living Recipes Smith Lake Smith Lake Business Smith Lake Events Smith Lake People Smith Lake Sports Smith Lake Things To Do Subscribe Subscriptions The-lakeside-life The-lakeside-life-team